Of wondrous places and "benevolent neglect:" An interview with Pam Munoz Ryan

Fabbi, J. & Johnson, A. (2007). Of wondrous places and "benevolent neglect:" An interview with Pam Munoz Ryan. The Journal of Children's Literature, 52-57.

I love Pam Munoz Ryan's books. She has the ability to take one into a world, into a character, into a book. This interview with Ryan has a pretentious title, but it's really just a quiet, informal chat with Ryan about her life and her craft. It also brought to my attention several more of Ryan's books that I'd like to read; I've already read Esperanza Rising (of course) and Becoming Naomi Leon, which through less celebrated is a stronger book in my view.

One topic that was especially interesting in this interview was the discussion of the differences among writing historical nonfiction, historical fiction, and contemporary fiction. Each of these genres seems to have unique writing challenges. To do it right requires work and dedication. I have always admired young adult authors, and this interview only fed that admiration. It's time to get a few more of Ryan's books and curl up for a good read!

No comments:

Post a Comment