My e Sorts and digital extensions of word study

Zucher, T. A., & Invernizzi, M. (2008). My e Sorts and digital extensions
of word study. The Reading Teacher, 61(8), 654-658.


Here, several theoretical orientations find confluence in a digital melding of the well-known Language Experience Approach and the equally well-known “word sorts” strategy. Explicit word study can be meaningless and dull, but when the words are taken from a child-dictated experience story, those words come alive, and they are no longer words in isolation; they are always linked to the very personal context from which they came. Add a digital element to this, and it all takes wings! Though one could certainly do LEA-story-linked word sorts without digital hardware, using the computer adds a motivational factor as well as building computer skills.

As I read, I made a note to brush up on several things. I need to reread the literature on word sorts and the developmental sequences most recommended. The bibliography here provides references to do that. Then, I need to build my skills with Power Point more, and investigate the more “kid-friendly” Inspiration 8 software. I see an intriguing mix of old and new here.

No comments:

Post a Comment